Job Title: Conflicts and Business Intake Compliance Counsel
Department: Office of General Counsel
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To: Assistant General Counsel, General Counsel
Dotted line/close working relationship: Business Intake Manager, Director of Office Services
I. Job Summary
Responsible for acting as counsel to the law firm in identifying potential conflicts of interest arising out of new business intake and out of the hiring of lawyers and staff joining the firm. Responsible for counseling lawyers and staff in resolving potential conflicts. Providing legal and operational support for Office of General Counsel in implementation of risk management strategies relating to new business intake and hiring as well as other legal matters involving the firm. The Office of General Counsel works as an integrated team with many other parts of the firm and is seen as a valued resource and trusted advisor to the partners, associates and staff of the firm.
II. Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Perform initial legal review of conflicts reports requested by partners, identify potential conflict of interest issues, and coordinate resolution of conflict of interest issues among all parties.
- Advise the firm and its partners regarding the appropriate form and terms of an engagement letter for use in documenting new engagements and counseling partners on drafting same as needed.
- Approve engagement letter drafts prior to distribution to the client and assist with reviewing the need for waivers and drafting of waiver letters.
- Monitor compliance with new business intake instructions and requirements, such as the completion and execution of appropriate engagement letters and any necessary waivers, implementation of ethical screens where necessary, assessment of intake risk by the firm.
- Act as a resource in assisting firm attorneys in understanding conflicts of interest and managing conflicts and new business intake in an appropriate manner.
- Review conflicts reports for incoming lateral lawyers, new lawyers and legal support staff and take necessary action to clear potential conflicts of interest, including interfacing with candidate where necessary.
III. Other duties and responsibilities
Provide legal advice to the firm and its personnel regarding various professional responsibility and risk management matters, as assigned by the Office of General Counsel. Tasks may include development and updating of firm policies and forms for internal use; reviewing and providing legal advice regarding Outside Counsel Guidelines and other vendor contracts; maintaining and updating terms of engagement letters, waiver letters and related documents based on changes in the law and practice; assisting in development of strategies and methodologies for identifying, managing, and resolving conflicts of interest and assessing client and matter fit; and developing and/or conducting internal conflicts training for the Firm’s lawyers and staff.
Perform other related duties as requested.
IV. Knowledge and skills
• J.D. degree
• Member of the State Bar in good standing in Duane Morris office where candidate will sit
• Minimum 4 years’ experience as practicing lawyer in a business law firm environment
• Adheres to highest ethical standards for behavior
• Strong organizational and planning skills, including the ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints
• Strong interpersonal skills necessary to permit effective communication in person, by email, andtelephone with a diverse group of lawyers and staff
• Ability to recognize conflicts of interest under applicable professional standards, other issues that could be viewed as a conflict of interest, and effectively discussing and resolving such issues with the lawyers involved
• Prior experience as a conflicts review lawyer or analyst, or experience in legal ethics, conflicts analysis and/or review, representation of law firms and the like
V. Extent of Contact (Within and outside the Firm)
This position requires a high degree of contact with:
• the General Counsel and Assistant General Counsel
• the Director of Office Services, Business Intake Manager and conflicts search staff
• the partners, associates and staff of the Firm
This position requires limited contact with individuals outside the Firm.
VI. Working conditions and environment (Necessary travel, unusual work hours, unusual environmental conditions, etc.)
• Located in a comfortable, indoor area
• Position is full-time, requiring a 5-day work week and standard hours as outlined in the Firm policy manual with additional hours as required when necessary to meet deadlines
• Limited domestic travel, possibly involving multiple-day trips requiring overnight stays, may be required in order to attend training seminars/CLE programs, firm meetings and the like
PAY TYPE : Salary
PAY RANGE: $150,000 - $180,000
* The hourly and/or annual wage amounts are based on years of experience and other factors pursuant to New York City Human Rights Law( NYCHRL) *
EEO STATEMENT: Duane Morris is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please contact HR Assistant, Shawn Tato, at 215-979-1224.
DATA PRIVACY STATEMENT: Duane Morris LLP is a limited liability partnership organized under the laws of Delaware. References in this privacy notice to “Duane Morris”, “we” or “us” are references to Duane Morris LLP and our affiliated entities. This privacy notice together with our Website Disclaimer and (if applicable) our relevant terms of business or other contract between us (if applicable) set out the basis on which Duane Morris processes your personal data (and any mandated controller/processor information).
Reference in this privacy notice to “personal data” means any information that identifies, or could reasonably be used to identify, a living individual, either on its own or together with other information. Our “Website” means this website and any other websites of Duane Morris.
Duane Morris is committed to protecting personal data and respecting your privacy.
Please read this notice carefully to understand our practices with respect to personal data and how we treat it and how you can exercise your rights in connection with it. You should also read any other privacy notices that we give to you, that might apply to our use of your personal data in specific circumstances from time to time.
Data Privacy Statement
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not a contract or employment agreement and is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of all functions, responsibilities or requirements. In addition, Duane Morris reserves the right to amend, suspend or terminate any benefit plan, in whole or in part, at any time. The authority to make such changes rests with the Plan Administrator.