JOB TITLE: Legal Assistant-Private Client Services
SUMMARY: Under general supervision and according to established policies and procedures, performs a variety of secretarial and administrative duties for legal professionals in the Private Client Services practice with a focus on operational excellence and client service. Establishes and maintains positive relationships with attorneys, staff and clients and observes confidentiality of client and other firm matters.
• Responsible for processing original client documents including copying, scanning, creating (and updating) binders, transmitting documents to clients and preparing for vault storage; Maintains and updates ongoing client document status spreadsheet.
• Proactively implements and maintains highly effective office organizational systems.
• Provides general administrative support to legal professionals including maintaining calendars and schedules and processing incoming and outgoing mail.
• Types and proofreads engagement letters, correspondence, memoranda and other administrative documentation.
• Acts as a witness at the signing of estate planning documents if necessary, having the ability to maintain good public relations with clients, as well as observing confidentiality and attorney/client relationships.
• Coordinates and schedules meetings, including booking conference rooms, arranging catering, printing documents, and coordinating schedules.
• Manages expenses, including processing expenses for legal professionals and business development expenses.
• Coordinates the filing of gift tax returns and other administrative filings in connection with ongoing estate and trust administration.
• Performs other administrative and support duties as assigned.
• Special projects as requested.
QUALIFICATIONS (EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES):
• High School diploma (Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree preferred) with at least 3-5 years of related administrative or legal assistant experience. Specific knowledge of estate and trust documents/terminology a plus.
• Strong organizational skills are imperative with the ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them in a timely manner on an on-going basis, as well as under strict time constraints when necessary.
• Must possess a high level of technical competency on various job-related computer software packages and applications including MS Word, MS Outlook and MS Excel.
• Strong written communication skills with the ability to proofread material for grammatical, typographical and spelling errors required.
• Interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate successfully either in person, by phone or through e-mail (including directly with clients).
• Must be able to follow instructions effectively from a diverse group of legal professionals and staff and provide information with professional courtesy and tact.
• Must be able to maintain discretion and confidentiality related to all functions.
The working conditions described below are representative of those related to this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The incumbent may be required to sit for extended periods of time, as well as stand, walk and climb up on a footstool or step ladder in order to file documents and/or envelopes. Work occasionally requires a high level of mental effort and strain while producing a high volume of work related to essential and other duties. Because of the volume of work performed by computer, the incumbent is required to spend a considerable amount of time typing and looking at computer monitors.
Work occasionally requires more than a 7-hour day to perform the essential duties of the position.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not a contract or employment agreement and is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of all functions, responsibilities or requirements.