JOB TITLE: Legal Assistant
SUMMARY: Under general supervision and according to established policies and procedures, performs a variety of duties for attorneys to whom assigned. Maintains positive contact with clients, attorneys and staff and observes confidentiality of client and other firm matters.
May perform most or all of the following duties:
- Receives clients and visitors; maintains good public relations with clients; observes confidentiality of attorney/client relationships.
- Maintains current knowledge of clients and contacts.
- Organizes and coordinates legal meetings including client interviews, hearings and depositions.
- Provides valued added tasks for clients, recording time in DTE.
- Prepares forms including accident reports, courtroom requests and client applications
- Prepares and manages correspondence.
- Proofreads and edits legal documents.
- Prepares and processes standard legal documents including subpoenas, contracts, summons, appeals, warrants and motions.
- Sets up and maintains databases and files.
- Documents and maintains case files.
- Handles incoming mail. Ensure timely receipt of outgoing mail; may engage special delivery services.Handles faxes.
- Maintains schedules and calendars including court diaries.
- Opens new files, requests conflict of interest checks with record center and maintains on-line and hard copy files.Stores older files; prepares files for closure.
- Coordinates billing, proofs billing sheets, and reviews and edits bills.
- Makes appointments and assists with travel arrangements for attorneys.
- May occasional work overtime and irregular hours.
- Works closely with administrative support staff; is team oriented.
- Supports other departments with overload typing, filing, photocopying, faxing, or reception relief.
- May transcribe documents.
- May perform other related duties.
- High school degree or equivalent required
- Minimum two years’ experience in a legal environment
- Working knowledge of legal procedures and legal terminology
- Knowledge of local, state and federal filing rules
- Proficient in spelling, punctuation, grammar and other English language skills
- Basic math skills in order to verify calculations on documents.
- Transcription and typing skills (70 w.p.m.) for legal documents, correspondence, rough draft and dictation.
- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures.
- Working knowledge of Office 2016 (Word, Power Point, Excel); Office Chrome River a plus
- Ability to organize and prioritize within strict time constraints.
- Interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate in person and electronically.
- Ability to follow instructions from a diverse group of clients and attorneys
- Courtesy and tact.
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Discretion, confidentiality, integrity
- Customer service orientation
- Good judgment and decision-making
- Stress tolerance
- More than occasional overtime will be required
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package including, but not limited to: medical, dental, 401(k) with firm match, pension, life insurance and generous PTO.