Job Title: Client Development Manager
Department: Marketing & Business Development
This professional will help drive our business development and relationship investment strategy around major clients and ensure these initiatives align with the firm’s strategic plan while taking a collaborative, team-oriented approach to working with others in the Client Development team, various Marketing & Business Development groups, and other Firm functions.
The manager will develop a deep knowledge of the firm's relationship with multiple clients and will coordinate with the relationship partners and broader client team to develop appropriate strategies and objectives for developing the client relationship, including identifying opportunities for new business and the provision of value-added services. The manager drives the development and implementation of a client plan and relationship development initiatives, schedules and facilitates team meetings, monitors and analyzes financial performance, researches client developments, and shares information broadly with key lawyers. The manager also assists in the preparation of cross-practice pitch materials, participates in client feedback interviews, and tracks opportunity outcomes.
The successful candidate will have the ability to think broadly and demonstrate a high level of initiative. Should be pragmatic, diplomatic and resourceful, with the ability to adapt quickly to different situations and personalities.
- Works closely with Director of Client Development to develop annual plans with assigned client teams, and liaises directly with relationship partners to support plan execution and monitors progress against goals.
- Supports client teams in maintaining client satisfaction and growing the firm’s relationship with identified key clients.
- Organizes client team meetings, drafting/distributing notes and action plan updates, actively participate in discussions and agenda-setting.
- Conducts market and competitive intelligence research to develop an understanding of client priorities. Identifies opportunities with individual clients and connect appropriate firm lawyers to pursue these opportunities.
- Provides guidance to Marketing & Business Development Managers (MBDMs) on pitches, particularly with respect to client preferences and appropriate strategies. Coordinate pitches when cross-practice or not otherwise covered by MBDMs.
- Participates in client interviews to obtain feedback on the firm’s work and relationships. Ensures appropriate follow-up occurs based on interview feedback.
- Liaises with client contacts on non-legal aspects of relationships where appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- BA/BS degree required; Marketing, Communications or Business preferred. MBA is a plus.
- Minimum of five years of experience in client service/account management or similar relevant BD experience, ideally gained within a professional services environment. Previous law firm experience is highly desirable.
- Have the ability to build strong relationships with all levels of lawyers, with the confidence to challenge and counsel them on client development best practices.
- Have strong organizational skills and an ability to prioritize and complete simultaneous projects with minimal supervision.
- Have experience working independently as well as within cross-functional teams in a collaborative, professional environment.
- Strong business sense/awareness of current events, competitive analysis/research, opportunity evaluation
- High sense of responsibility, accountability, and focus on proactivity and responsiveness.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Adobe Acrobat. InterAction and ContactNet a plus.
- Experience with research tools (e.g., MonitorSuite, Hoovers) and general internet research fluency a plus (e.g., Google).
- Ability to travel as required.
- Ability to work with all Marketing functional teams and non-Marketing administrative departments, and be familiar with the operations and responsibilities of each. Develop and maintain excellent working rapport across multiple stakeholders.
Physical and Mental Demands & Working Conditions:
Usual office conditions including prolonged periods of sitting and looking at the computer screen. While performing the duties of the job, employee is frequently required to stand, walk, lift, and reach.
Essential Functions are those for which reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities.
The preceding’s intention is to describe the general content and requirements for the performance of this job. It is neither a contract, nor an employment agreement, and not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of all functions, responsibilities or requirements.